Friday, August 20, 2010

Why Are My Dog's Nose, Lips and Gums Turning Pink?

We have a 5 year old female Cairn Terrier who was born with black skin on her face. Her nose, lips and gums have always been black. I've noticed that they are slowly turning pink. It looks kinda gross. Is this normal/OK? Aren't there any dog fanatics or vets on here that REALLY know the answer? THANKS!Why Are My Dog's Nose, Lips and Gums Turning Pink?
yes this is normal. i have a female white siberian husky that was born with a black nose and lips but since she has gotten older they have started to turn pink it is normal dogs noses and lips can change from black to pink it isnt ne thing to be worryed about its normalWhy Are My Dog's Nose, Lips and Gums Turning Pink?
I am a vet tech and I work for a veterinary dermatologist.


I think you know that regardless of anyone's education or training, it is impossible for us to say what is going on with your dog without seeing it. It may be something completely normal, or it may be an allergy, or any of several skin diseases, or (God forbid) cancer.


Have you moved? Have you changed her food? Have you changed her bowls? Is she rubbing her face or scratching? Does she have any other symptoms like coughing or sneezing? Do you have other pets? If so, do they have anything going on with them? Do you have any weird itchy places or rashes? When did you first notice this change? As you can see, there are many questions that need to be answered before a vet can make a list of 'rule-outs', or possible diagnoses.


Then tests must be done to rule-out those possibilities until just one correct diagnosis is reached. They can take skin scrapings, etc. to look under the microscope and see what is going on. They may need to take a skin biopsy or do bloodwork, etc.





Sorry that's all the help I can give you. Good luck.
Hi Todd, Maybe she has some kind of skin virus. I would take her to the vet to be safe.





Clowmy
when my boxer was not being eating properly and his weight was going down, sometimes the white part of the area near his nose, turned pink...the vet told me to try a different food...once I did that, he no longer had the pink problem.
Well i'm not a vet or anything but I would say that you might want to check it out by one. I have seen this happen to some of my friends dogs when this happens i usaully means there healty they might be low on some vitiams they need in there body. If you change there food diets to IMAS(sp?) or science diet this may help.


sincerly Kelly Lewis
  • engine oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment